Thursday, June 3, 2010

Roads Less Traveled... in Madrid

As usual, my blog posts have erred on the side of retelling travel adventures rather than relaying Madrid happenings. I promise that I do still live in Madrid. In fact, so much fun stuff has happened since I returned from Semana Santa (which was way back in April)! With only a few more weeks left in this city, I have taken on a new motto: Take the road less traveled.” It’s so easy to just fall into the normal swing of things—do the same things, go to the same places, eat at the same restaurants, etc.—but for my last hoorah in this crazy city, I am trying to explore it and do as many new things as possible. There is so much to Madrid, and I know that even if I spent a lifetime here, I would never be able to truly uncover all of its secrets. Yet, I’m doing my best with what little time I do have, and here’s how…

Passing on Retiro and discovering new parks instead:

  • El Capricho: In 1787, the Duchess of Osuna set out to create the most beautiful gardens and most charming park in all of Europe, in order to compete with other leading ladies of her time (like the Queen of Spain). Although her palace now is unoccupied, the Peasant’s Cottage is no longer used for imitating country-folk-life, and the Beehive House is not busy with small black and yellow insects, El Capricho still holds a glimmer of its past glory and delight. The park does have the oldest iron bridge in Spain (1830), but no gondolas carrying frolicking aristocrats pass underneath it anymore. To be sure, this is one of the most whimsical parks of Madrid… and it is perfectly named thus.
  • Parque de la Fuente del Berro: This park is actually just a stone's throw from my apartment. I have been aware of its existence for some time now, but it wasn’t until this past weekend stroll through this little park for the first time. It’s a nice getaway from Retiro, which is getting incredibly busier by the day now that the weather is really nice all day long.
  • Parque Juan Carlos I: Sarah, Elaine, and I discovered the strange glory of the largest park in Spain which opened in 1992. Located on the outskirts of the city, not too far from the Barajas Airport, the Juan Carlos Park is a confounding conglomeration of olive groves, waterways, wide concrete roads, grassy knolls, and modern statues scattered throughout. If you’re special enough, you can kayak… and if you bring your ID, you can borrow a bike for an hour for free! We weren’t special enough to board any watercraft, but we did wait in line long enough to procure a trio of bicycles. Once our bottoms were good and sore, we ditched the bikes to climb the largest net tower on a playground I’ve ever seen. Needless to say, it was a glorious afternoon.
  • Retiro Park: Although I am trying to go to new places, I can’t completely abandon Retiro. After all, it only takes me 7 minutes to run through the busy shopper-filled streets to get there from my apartment, and it really is a great park. From a gorgeous rose garden in full bloom to a workout park overrun with men in not enough clothing to a river of people perusing the stalls for the Book Fair, Retiro really does have a lot going on all the time, and I will still call it one of my favorite places in Madrid. Plus, I’ve had the chance to hop in a row boat or two this spring, and I’ll never pass up on that opportunity!




Having visitors!

  • Julika and Isabel: After hosting us in Austria, Julika let Sarah and I show her and her friend, Isabel, around our city over the first weekend in May. We walked around the city center, but I think what most interested these girls was the shopping. We all made several purchases that weekend! The girls stayed at Sarah’s place for 5 nights, and we made sure to hit up all our favorite places, like La Soberbia and Sol y Sombra, while they were here.
  • The Tilley Family: The Tilley family—Mike & Molly and their three daughters Amy, Sarah, and Mary Kate—are from Orlando and are good friends of Justin’s family. The fam was traveling through Spain and visiting Sarah who lives in Bilbao (and visited me in February). I got to meet Mike, Molly, and Amy for the first time when we rendezvoused in Sol for dinner one Tuesday night in May. (MK dates Justin’s younger brother, so we had already met… and she crashed on my bed a week before when she was in between flying to Spain and bussing to Bilbao.) We feasted at La Soberbia, dug into some gelato, and then toured the Westin Palace Hotel, where Mike and Molly were staying for a couple of nights (an anniversary gift from some friends). The WPH was dripping with bling and covered with fancy carpets and tiling. I was like a kid in a candy store, because I’ve always wanted to visit but I had been worried I’d get kicked out upon entering for not being dressed well enough Unfortunately, my visit was a few hours too late, because the family saw none other than Andy Roddick eating an omelet or two earlier that morning before going off to play in the Madrid Open. Despite missing the Athletic Celeb, I doubt his company would have been better than being with the Tilleys! I am so thankful to know that I will have this stellar family around when I move to Orlando in a few months.


Hanging out with good friends, old and new

  • CCM—I’ve joined the Coffee Crew, who all go out after church in order to spend a few extra minutes chatting over a cup of cafe con leche and a pincho de tortilla. I’ve gotten to know several member of my church much better over these past few months, and it has been so interesting to learn about the lives of people who have been living abroad from 10-30 years. Incredible.
  • Marisa—Marisa is not just the mother of my little twins, Marcos and Aitor. She has become one of my best friends here in Madrid, even if she’s almost twice my age (almost!). We’ve been going out to lunch regularly, chatting away in Spanish and English, and I have learned more about this family who has become so dear to my heart. Even though they can’t make it to the wedding, they gave Justin and me a wedding present: a modern-Las Meninas teacup set.
    • Marisa asked me to run in La Carerra de la Mujer with her. On May 2, we jogged alongside thousands of others—mothers with strollers, grandmothers, athletic youth, and several boys wearing skirts and wigs—and did the 6 km circuit around Retiro Park in less than 45 minutes. The event raised 1000s of Euros for cancer research; I enjoyed being a part of something bigger than myself, even if it was only for just one cool Sunday morning.
  • Spanish guys and gals—On a couple of occasions, I’ve had the pleasure of hanging out with Álvaro and Susana, a young couple who have conversation classes with Sarah. I’ve also joined Sarah in meeting up with her former roommates, Lucia and Beatriz, who are super sweet and really warm to us. Unfortunately, none of these cool people hold the same Dependable Standards as we Americans do, and therefore, I have to wait until spontaneous get-togethers magically happen.
  • Non-Spanish guys and gals—Patrick, Donna, and Elaine may be Brits, but I wouldn’t trade my time in Madrid with them for ten Spaniards! Sadly, Donna departed several weeks back and Elaine is moving out of my apartment this weekend. We’ve all definitely had some good romping about the city. From hilarious nights out dancing like morons to numerous walks in the park, I’ve loved spending time with my British friends!


Reuniting with my volleyball team

My volleyball team got back together for a game or two this spring. In the one game in which I was able to participate, I totally dominated at the net and we won our match like a good team should, with team work, smart decisions, and good communication. After our victory, we went to La Vaguada, Madrid’s first shopping mall, and we had a 4-hour lunch at Ginos, an Italian chain restaurant. My team surprised me with a goodbye gift: a red t-shirt with our team name and season on the back and with everyone’s names on the front. I was surprised and honored by this sweet gesture. We’re all going to have a Goodbye-Hailey Team Dinner next week, and then a few of us are going to play in the same tournament as last June.


Going to school…quite reluctantly

For the sake of remaining true to my Madrid experience, I have to be honest: the Ugly Truth is that going to school these past two months has been absolutely dreadful for me, meaning I dread going to school. While it’s true that I like my 5th graders and our classes (most days), I sometimes find it difficult working with Victor. However, my disagreeable or boring moments in Victor’s class are desirable after spending just ten minutes in the classroom with my 3rd graders. I’m not exaggerating. My 3rd graders are absolutely atrocious. They are completely disrespectful—to each other and to their teachers—; they still don’t know how to wait for their turn to speak; they constantly get up and wander around the classroom; and they’re English level is not where it could or should be. While this is a bad batch of kids, I think their horrendous behavior has worsened on account of their teacher, Cristina.


For the record, I think Cristina is a wonderfully sweet woman and she loves working with the children. However, the problem is she’s quite scatterbrained and unorganized, and she’s always late to class. I can honestly say that her average arrival to class is 15-20 minutes after the class has begun. After a year of this, the kids have grown accustomed to be able to do whatever they want, whenever they want. They don’t know what it’s like to be in a structured classroom (as was their case last year, too, unfortunately). Back in the fall, I used to have the ability to control them for a little bit, and I used to be able to teach at least part of their science or English lesson. Not so anymore. Now, I have no more power over the little hellions than a flower does over the rainclouds.


As bad as third grade is, I have had some moment of good teaching in my 5th grade classes. When Victor fell ill earlier this spring, I got to teach English and Science to both 5th grade classes for almost an entire week. What’s more is that I got to create my own lesson plans for the kiddos… and they loved my games and activities! Getting to have the classroom all to myself for that week was a shining moment of glory, and I really enjoyed the freedom and creativity that came with it. And, of course, my school isn’t always the prison I make it out to be. I genuinely enjoy the company of some of the folks with whom I work. My work and contributions to this school have been acknowledged in the forms of compliments and smiles, and I really appreciate them. I am in love with so many of the kids and there are so many who have an English level good enough to converse freely and joke around with me, and I am often blown away by what these kids can do. I will definitely miss some of them.



Going to the theatre

  • Alice in WonderlandThis is only the second movie I’ve seen in Spain. The first was in French with Spanish subtitles on a weary Wednesday night and almost doesn’t count as a cinematic experience due to difficulties in focusing, comprehension, and enjoyment. AiW was in a nice cinema, in English with Spanish subtitles, and in 3D!
  • BabelOn a whim, Pilar and I went to see one of the many performances that are a part of the Festival de Otoño, a month long marathon of concerts and shows spread across the theaters of Madrid. 15 dancers from all around the world moved their bodies in the most spectacular display of modern contemporary dance I’ve ever seen with my own eyes. I think Mia Michaels would have cried with joy at watching these performers, because they were phenomenal.


Trying to predict the weather….

It may be hot now, but that’s something fairly new to us here in Madrid this year. This spring has been simply wack-o…it’s been a roller coaster ride with chilly winds and sporadic clouds popping up at any time. I remember wearing blue jeans and a jacket the first week of May because it was just too cool…I have never done that before in my life. It also rained quite a lot this spring, which did put a damper on many plans to explore the city’s offerings. Currently, we have jumped over spring and landed into smack in the middle of summer. I am quite enjoying the warm-hot temperatures and the ability to not leave the house carrying a jacket or cardigan. What can I say? I’m a Southern gal who’d prefer to wear a sundress and glisten a little bit from the heat of the day instead of remain bundled up on account of cold blustery weather.


Continuing with some traditions

Every Wednesday since January, a few of us have met up for dinner at 100

Montaditos, a chain restaurant that whips up small delectable sandwiches for only 1 Euro each on Wednesday nights. Elaine, SK, Elly, and I make up the usual crew, and on occasion we’re joined by Patrick or Scott from Scotland. Now that the weather is warm and dry, we’re grabbing our mini-sandwiches and having picnics in the park instead! It’s been a great way to meet up with friends in the middle of the week and a great excuse to stuff our faces with good food.




Living it up for one last month!

I’ve got less than one month left in Madrid, which is so strange to think about. Already June is turning out to be the month of despedidas, or goodbyes, and I’m preparing myself to say goodbye to all the people and places that I have grown to love over these past two years. It’s a bittersweet month: I am sad to leave this life that I have made here, but I am also very excited for all the new things to come in my life (like a wedding and a marriage). And so, I will try my hardest to take advantage of everything I can while I’m still here!


No comments: