Friday, June 25, 2010

No More School, No More Books...

The Final Word from Fernando and Belén
I had my last class with Fernando and Belén on Tuesday the 15th. I asked them to make a list of their favorite things that we have done together in English class over the past two years. They told me that they really enjoyed playing Bananagrams (a game similar to speed-scrabble but without a board) and Madlibs, being pen-pals with Anna Beth & Quinton (two of my good friends from Furman), reading The Secret Garden and making up endings to other stories we read, and listening to songs and filling in the missing lyrics. We had a good run, the three of us, and goodness gracious…I’m going to miss those two! Fortunately, I know I will see them again, because their parents are quite serious about sending them to stay with me and Justin in Orlando for a summer! (Justin, you don’t mind, right?) Their family also gave me a parting gift, Gaudi-inspired tea cups, to say “thank you and happy wedding.” I am so lucky to have had this class, because I will forever see Fer y Belén as my little cousins whom I will always adore.
So You Think You Can Bake!
For my last week of class with Andrea and Andrea on Thursday the 17th, we came up with a script for a mini-movie, which evolved into a wedding cake competition, reality-TV style. I took on the persona of Cat Deely (the tall, blonde, British hostess of SYTYCDance) and got to play the part of presenter. The Andreas formed Team Sugar and they competed against teams consisting of an assortment of stuffed animals and plastic dolls. It was a lot of fun, and it was a great way to end the class because the girls have something to show off their great English abilities and their fashionable attire.

Say “Bye bye!”
I got my last sloppy kisses from Ana, Lucia, and Paloma as I was leaving their third floor apartment on Thursday the 17th. Although I made sure to tell them (in Spanish) that I wasn’t coming back to give them classes, I think they still didn’t quite get the gravity of our parting.
Likewise, the twins, Marcos and Aitor, didn’t really grasp the reality of our last moments together this past Monday afternoon. I spent two hours with them and their mom, Marisa. We got some ice cream and went to the park near their house. Between playing freeze dance after slurping up the melting goodness and chasing Marcos & a dozen of his classmates in the park, I chatted with Marisa in Spanglish. It was a grand afternoon and I can’t wait to see my dear ones again soon.

Marisa and Javier took me out to dinner on Tuesday night. We had an excellent meal: pulpo a la Gallega, alcachofas a la plancha, razor clams (for Javi), and grilled vegetable-monkfish skewers. When we said our goodbyes, Marisa started to tear up… and she is the first person to have made me shed a few tears, too! Yet, mine were tears of joy and gratitude for this family. They have been a family upon whom I have relied mucho, and I can’t praise their wonderfulness enough. I am positive I will see them again in the near future.



¡Se acabó el cole!
Wednesday, the 23rd of June, was the last day of school for the kids and for me! I refuse to hold back my excitement. I am leaving Ciudad de Roma loaded down with drawings, notes, and hugs from my students. I am leaving content with what I have accomplished in my classes and with what I haven’t. I am leaving thankful for this wonderfully enriching experience, for the good and the bad parts of it. I am leaving a little sad when thinking of not seeing first hand my kids grow and learn in the coming years. But I am leaving hopeful, hoping that these kids will rise in the ranks of English speakers in the European community.
My last day at school was actually quite enjoyable. I got the chance to say goodbye to everyone, students and teachers alike. I made a video with a group of 5th graders, interviewing them about their favorite parts of the year. I took loads of pictures of my kiddos and colleagues, too. After classes ended, we had an End-of-the-Year teacher luncheon, which turned out to be another smorgasbord of traditional Spanish cuisine like fried calamares, jamón serrano y queso curado, empanadas, and other tapas foods. Afterward, I went out for a coffee with Pilar, Cristina, Victor, Concha, Joaquín, where we lounged in the cool shade of the outdoor patio and talked of school and of summer plans. Before I knew it, it was past 5:00. My, how those Spaniards know how to take their time eating and drinking…one of the many things I am going to miss.

Actually…I will miss many things about Spain. Me queda poco. I don’t have much time left: 4 days to be exact. It’s going to be a sprint to the finish line, and so far, so good!

No comments: