Sunday, June 21, 2009

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather it is acting on faith in the midst of it.

For my last Sunday at the Community Church of Madrid, Pastora Cathy preached on the intense story of when David met Goliath out on the battlefield. David showed true courage in such a terrifying situation.

This message of courage was one of the first things for Anna to ponder upon her arrival in Madrid just an hour prior to the sermon. I met her at the airport and immediately took her to the Community Church of Madrid. Pastora Cathy couldn’t have set a better theme for the day, because later this afternoon, Anna and I witnessed courage of Goliath proportions.

If you’ll recall after my visit to Sevilla with my parents in April, I said that I decided I would never see a bull fight as long as I lived. There is a reason they say “Never say never,” and my life choices are examples of why the old saying holds so much truth... I went to a bull fight tonight in Madrid.

I could say much about the whole production, because it is a quite production. However, now I’d just like to take the time to focus on the core element that runs continuously through the spectacle: courage. The men who get into that ring with such a massive and aggressive bull are some of the most courageous (and absolutely crazy) men I have ever seen in my life. They come face to face with a creature that would strike fear in almost anyone. For their sanity, I would hope that the matadors might be a bit frightened—or at least nervous—when they meet their foe. They move in an intimidating dance with artistically calculated movements and deep concentration. Watching the way those men moved to accomplish their task (yes, their goal is to kill the bull) was fascinating, and I admired their sheer crazy courage.


You don’t have to fight a bull or a Goliath to have courage. In my opinion, perhaps the most courageous set of people I can think of across the world are parents. As a teacher and counselor, I see how important parenting is in the development of a child, who later becomes an adult. As a daughter, I owe much of who I am today to my parents, because they taught me how to cherish good values, to develop my sense of self, and to appreciate enriching experiences. I can always thank Dad for being my sports coach and my guiding conscience. Mom has been my personal cheerleader and I owe many of my acquired life-skills to her (maybe I could use some more cooking lessons). I know it can’t be easy to be a parent, and I applaud my own for their courage in raising my brother and me.

Dad, I hope you had a fantastic Father’s Day! Mom, I hope you have a Happy Birthday! I love you both very much and thank you for taking on the Goliath and the bull of raising me and A.D. Your courage is as inspiring as David’s and as fascinating as a matador’s.

This is us in the Plaza de Toros in Sevilla... when I thought I couldn't stomach a bull fight!

No comments: