Sunday, June 14, 2009

Big Decisions and Sudden Plans

Some months ago, I made the decision to work in Madrid as a teaching assistant and private tutor for another year. It was not an easy decision for me, but once I accepted it for myself, I knew that it was right. Now more than ever am I sure that I need another year in Madrid.

Last week, I received the official letter of reacceptance into the Bilingual Program and confirmation of staying at my school, Cuidad de Roma. While my school has its own set of faculty-related drama that does not exactly create the most pleasant working environment all the time, my role in the classroom has become something of my own. What I mean to say is that many times I find myself taking charge of an entire day’s worth of class, and in doing so, I have learned (and am still learning) the ways of being a school teacher. Next year, I am hoping to work with a couple of other teachers that I really like and that I can hopefully learn more tricks of the trade. Plus, I’ll be the only returning assistant… and I’m going to get major celebrity status! Isn’t that worth another nine months of dealing with crazy Spanish kids?

Coinciding with my decision to stay at my school, I have also decided to continue living with Angelica, the Peruvian woman who sublets the extra rooms in her apartment. I have truly enjoyed where I live in Madrid, and my neighborhood feels like home. I know the Cuban family who owns the fruit and veggie shop across the street, and I’ve become a regular at other stores and restaurants. I’m in one of the best residential areas in the entire city—at least, in my opinion. With the intimidating and trying process that one finds housing in Madrid in the fall, I wasn’t keen on taking chances of not finding a suitable apartment for next year now that I am comfortable and settled. Yet, even though I am staying with Angelica, we are not staying in the same apartment. Within the next few days, we are moving downstairs to a larger apartment. She wants an office and place to hold important lawyer-lady meetings, and she has been busy these past few weeks getting the lower apartment suitable for living. Right now, half of the furniture is in that one while the rest has yet to be moved. So… same location, different living space. I’m excited about keeping the same address (more or less), remaining within walking distance from school, having all the conveniences of living here for 9 months already, and being able to truly make a home for myself in Madrid.

Sudden plans and new decisions were thrust upon me just a few weeks ago when one of my best friends from high school, Anna, told me that she wanted to come visit me in Spain and then travel with me after I finished school. Of course, I still have a few places on my Hit List, and with a little Internet searching I found the flight deal of the year from Madrid to Athens. Hours later I bought two tickets giving Anna and I six nights in Greece. Greece has been on my Hit List for years, and I can’t believe I’m actually going to have almost an entire week there! Plans are still tentative, but we’re basing ourselves out of Athens and Santorini. I’ll have 18 hours upon returning from Greece before catching my flight back to the states for the summer.

This coming week is already full of final plans. The countdown has begun, and I am trying to cram in as much time with my friends here as possible. Madrid is great in the summertime—terribly hot, but great nonetheless.

No comments: