Wednesday, May 19, 2010

One Down, Two to Go!

There may be a cloud of volcanic ash looming over Europe these days, and although it did give me reason to worry, I didn’t let it stop me from flying back to the USA this past weekend in order to be a part of a very important event.

On Saturday, May 15, 2010, one of my bestest friends in the whole wide world, Gillian, got married... and I was there to witness it!
Actually, other than the pastor who officiated the ceremony and the groom, I was the closest one to Gillian as she spoke her vows and exchanged rings with Charles (the groom). Since G asked both Erin and me to be her Co-Maids of Honor, there was no way I was going to miss the day she said “I do!”


Thus, I traveled across the Atlantic last Thursday in order to make the big wedding weekend. For the 10th time and for the last time (or for a while, at least), I flew to Frankfurt, Germany and made my goodbyes to that well-known airport. I even thought it necessary to buy a postcard since I’ve spent so much time there. Then, I flew to ATL where I had arranged to be picked up by my parents and to fly in at the same time as Justin. My joy in greeting the three most important people in my life was delayed by US Customs, whose line I waited in for nearly 2 hours! Ugh, it was quite painful and I was quite antsy to get on with the “Welcome to the USA” process. Finally through customs and security, I was rounding the corner of the security checkpoint when I was caught by surprise. Justin had patiently waited to surprise me there instead of at Baggage Claim. How wonderful it was to see him in person! Not long after, we met my parents with hugs and hellos, grabbed my luggage, and headed off to the Dear Farm.


We spent last Thursday night at my grandparents’ farm, a very special place in my heart, with Dear and Pop-Pop. Also, my Aunt Cary and cousin Elizabeth decided to stay the night too, which was a pleasant surprise. Being at the farm was a great way to rest and relax after my somewhat arduous journey, and I was very happy to be back in the same place where Justin proposed only on a few months ago.


On Friday, we drove to Montgomery, Alabama. Although Gillian is a Dothan girl, she and Charles both went to Huntingdon College in the Alabama capital, and they wanted to get married in the same church they attended and served during those years. I first saw the bride at the hotel, and at first it all seemed just a little surreal. That evening, we went to the church for the rehearsal and dinner. Erin and I gave a little speech after the meal, and I don’t know if anything that came out of my mouth made any sense whatsoever... but I meant ever word I said. Since Gillian isn’t what you’d call “the party type,” her last night as a single woman was pretty tranquil. The bridesmaids just hung out together at the hotel by the pool until the Sand Man showed up and suggested we get some good rest. I didn’t object… I still was a bit jet lagged.


Saturday came bright and early when Erin woke up at 7 and proceeded to bother both G and me (we all slept in an enormous bed together… something we always do when given the chance to have a sleepover). Gillian didn’t give any sign of nerves or over-excitement, but I could tell she was ready to get on with the show. At 9:30, some select ladies met at the Montgomery Country Club to attend the Bridesmaid Luncheon that my mother and Erin’s mother put on for Gillian. We brunched on delicious quiche, fruit with poppy seed dressing, and bread pudding. Of course, I managed to suck down several glasses of the best drink in the world, Southern Sweet Tea (aka Liquid Sugar). Gillian and her mom dashed off to get their hair done for the wedding, and so some of us B’maids wandered around Huntingdon for a time until it was our turn to go get ready at the church and do our own hair. With more than enough time on our hands, we twisted, turned, and curled our hair until it wouldn’t curl any more and then we waited for the bride, who showed up with quite a do! Gillian was gorgeous and even though we had to sew a button back on her dress to keep it together, she looked like an angel.

Following the photographer’s instructions, we gathered around the gorgeous blooming hydrangeas in front of the church sanctuary to take some pictures. G’s Mom put me in charge of making sure all the family was in the right place and in the right picture later. Before we knew it, it was time to get undercover because the guests were beginning to arrive. Calmly, we waited in the salon for our cue to come line up at the back of the church. In the back of the line, Erin and I got a bit silly, but we still enjoyed hearing Leanne Boykin’s beautiful voice fill the sanctuary during the Prelude. Then, the boys went in… and one by one, so did the girls. Gillian and her father made a grand entrance to a trumpeting organ. The service went by in a flash… and we were out of there in less than 25 minutes. And then Gillian and Charles were married! (But I suppose that's how it always goes...)

The reception was in the church’s fellowship hall, and it was beautifully decorated with hydrangeas, white and green roses, and other greenery whose names escape me. The food was tasty, but I’ll admit that I didn’t eat too much because I so badly wanted to talk to some friends of mine that I hadn’t seen in ages. Unfortunately, the church wouldn’t let G&C have any music (I don’t fully understand why), and thus the Happy Couple hardly stayed an hour. And before I could say “lickety split,” it was all over and people were clearing out.

Saturday night and Sunday morning were spent relaxing at the hotel with my parents (which include G’s and Erin’s parents, too), my brother, Erin & Myles, and Justin. Sunday afternoon, my parents drove Justin and I back to the Atlanta-Hartsfield International Airport to catch our respective flights back to our current homes. Pretty soon, though, Justin and I won’t be living in separate homes… because in just 93 days, we’re getting married and thus will be living in a new home together. Yeah, that’s exciting.


Gillian was the first of the Three Musketeers to get married. I’ll be the second and Erin the third (talk about one fun New Year’s Eve). G certainly set the standard by remaining cool, calm, and collected throughout the entire weekend, and I hope I will follow suit when it’s my turn in August.


No comments: