Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Clearing Hurdles & Getting Back in the Game

Did you know that after you masticate what you put in your mouth, the saliva turns it into a bolus of food which goes down your esophagus? And then, the gastric juices in your stomach turn the partially digested food into chyme, which moves to your small intestines where it finally becomes a pasty substance called chyle? No? Then you are not smarter than a fifth grader, because this is exactly what my fifth graders have learned in science class over the past week. I think it’s pretty incredible and kind of ridiculous, considering I didn’t even know some of those words… and I speak English fluently!


I’m getting back into the swing of things here in Madrid. Honestly, I’ve had a few other hurdles besides learning new anatomy vocabulary since being back. It was slow-going getting over jet lag and maintaining a regular sleep pattern, for one. I was waking up at all hours of the night and falling asleep at inconvenient times during the day. My body is still a bit confused as to what time of day it is. As if that weren’t annoying enough, my body seemed to have forgotten all the swimming techniques I had built up over the fall. My first two swims of the year were hardly worth suffering through the close quarters with too many naked Spanish women in the locker rooms and communal showers. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day.


Because my head has been full of wedding things, which strangely enough are all thought out in English, I’ve had some trouble getting back into the Spanish language. That being said, I’ve decided not to continue taking Spanish classes at Mosaic. I’m going to need my Friday nights to do some more traveling this spring (boy, have I got some great trips in the making!), and I’ve got a few more Spanish friends to get the extra practice. Plus, that will free me up to hang out with my new roommate!


Yes, I’ve got a new roommate. My Scottish friend Elaine came back to Madrid to work/study through the spring and she wanted to rent the little room in Angie’s apartment (finally!). Not only do I have someone else to split monthly utilities with, but I’m also living with a really great person and someone with whom I’m already friends. During conversations on each other’s beds, Elaine and I have been marveled at the different uses of words in America versus Britain, and I think I’ll have quite a new vocabulary upon my permanent return to the States. While it is a noticeable change having Elaine here,—because now I’ve got to coordinate morning shower usage, for example—I’m happy to have a friend live with me!


And speaking of being with friends, Ida is coming to visit Madrid this weekend and Karisa, one of Justin’s Turkey teammates, will be in town on Friday night. They should both be fun reunions, and I’m looking forward to spending time with some dear friends. But first, I’ve got to make it through the rest of the week!

No comments: