Sunday, November 29, 2009

Giving Thanks Here and There

Celebrating Thanksgiving in England last weekend was great fun, but it was only the beginning. Never in my life have I had so many Thanksgiving-related festivities! The Pilgrims and Indians had a three day feast, but I had a week-long extravaganza that went as follows…


Teaching Thanksgiving: I read The Pilgrims’ First Thanksgiving a dozen times over the past few days, sharing the story of how the Pilgrims endured their first year in America and why they had reason to rejoice over their first successful harvest. It took a while for some of the kids to figure out why they don’t celebrate the holiday here in Spain… glad I got that sorted out.


Friday’s Feast: My friend, Elly, hosted a small gathering of friends for a Thanksgiving feast. There the company was absolutely delightful and the food was irresistible! Ricardo’s turkey was incredibly delicious and impressively overflowing with lots of goodies—like nuts, fruits, ground beef, and spices—which he whipped up from his Italian heritage. I’m afraid I stuffed myself with another amazing selection of holiday food for the second time this week! My food baby, Jorge, did not appreciate it when after dinner at Elly’s, SK & I took him out for a night of dancing to celebrate Elaine’s last night in Madrid for the year. (But she’s coming back in January, yay!)


A Pilgrims & Indians Party: SK & I met a new crowd of folks on Saturday night at Emily’s party. Even though Emily is American, most of her roommates or neighbors are British. They were really excited to have an excuse to wear feathered headdresses and make tomahawks. Emily’s mom had sent her cider, which was the perfect flavor for the occasion!


Church Celebration: In this First Sunday of Advent, Pastora Cathy incorporated the meaning of Thanksgiving into the service. I think that this little poem below says it all. Cathy found it in a crumpled newspaper a couple of weeks ago, and she talked about it in her children’s sermon. I’ll leave you with these words of wisdom… and I thank the Unknown Author who gave them to us.


Be thankful that you don’t already have everything you desire.

If you did, what would there to be to look forward to?

Be thankful when you don’t know something

For it gives you the opportunity to learn.

Be thankful for the difficult times.

During those times you grow.

Be thankful for your limitations,

Because they give you opportunities for improvement.

Be thankful for each new challenge,

Because it will build your strength and character.

Be thankful for your mistakes.

They will teach you valuable lessons.

Be thankful when you’re tired and weary,

Because it means that you’ve made a difference.

It is easy to be thankful for the good things.

A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who are also thankful for the setbacks.

No comments: