Monday, February 16, 2009

La vida madrileña

To the few fans of this blog: I apologize for a lack of regular entries over the past month or so. While school and work has occupied a majority of my time, I have done some new things, and hence, I have neglected my blogging obligations to keep you informed. Here's my fairly thorough recap of the past month and today!

· Lots of thinking
One reason why I haven’t been up to blogging much recently is because my brain-power has been consumed with the ultimate question of, What am I going to do after July?” This is neither the time nor place to go into that loaded question. However, your prayers for guidance would be greatly appreciated.

· Working update
I added some more private classes. I am now helping 18 year old Paula prepare for her college entrance exams and her 14 year old sister, Susana, with her English homework and conversation. Additionally, there’s a possibility for shoving in another extra class for some second graders in need. Long days of work are rewarded with 3 day weekends.

I got my first teacher present a few weeks ago. Irene Montáns (a 2nd grader) gave me a chocolate crêpe, wrapped in a paper napkin, which her mother had made for me. It was delicious.

Marcos got the chicken pox last weekend, and I couldn’t have class with the twins this past week. I miss them and all their car toys already.

Last Thursday, I stayed at Fernando and Belén’s apartment twenty minutes after class in order to play Guitar Hero with them. Fer rocked out to MJ’s “Beat It”; Belén blew it up with some “Eye of the Tiger”; and I played one for my country, “American Woman.” I love those two and the fact that I can play Guitar Hero with them.

My third grade teacher, Pilar, was absent from school last Thursday and Friday. Today she came to work, and I asked her in the morning if she had been ill. "I´m depressed Laura," she responded. Pilar proceeded to explain to me that she is very lonely and sad about her life, and my heart breaks for her. I´ve noticed a downward spiral in her attitude ever since returning from Christmas, and today she has been a wreck. Please pray that she will find comfort and joy in life and rejoice in her own.

Also, we had a huge episode in 2nd grade today. Mario, who was standing up talking to some other children (because of course, none of the kids were sitting down and listening to me teach them about tools and magnets), suddenly fell face first on the floor. He had passed out and his right eye hit the leg of a desk. Cristina and I rushed to him and he awoke, red in the face and shaken. Well, the rest of the class period was spent determining the situation. Apparently, these kids have a game where they "se pone rojo" or become red-faced by holding their breath for as long as they can. They have been playing this game they've invented for the past few months, and almost the entire class admitted to doing it at least once. Some of the parents already know about this game but have never advised their children about the dangers that come with it. Hence, that responsibility was given to us teachers to inform their kids about stupid things like that. It was a very frustrating morning, not only with the kids who were unruly today but also with their parents who obviously lack control of these semi-adorable hellions.

· One church just isn’t enough
Almost three weeks ago, I walked into the Malasaña apartment of Kelly and April Crull (and their daughter Alleke) to attend my first Oasis Madrid community group meeting. Oasis Madrid is another international, English-speaking church here in the central Madrid, but it’s quite different from my “home church,” The Community Church of Madrid.

I heard about OM back in November, but it took me a while to actually check it out (which you can do through the really cool website: http://www.oasismadrid.org/). The heart, or rather hearts, of this church are the small group meetings held in various members’ homes every night of the week in different areas of the city. Groups get together for a wonderful meal and then spend the last hour talking about selected Scripture readings or specific book series, such as Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Services with the entire church are held every other Saturday evening, interspersed with weekends to simply gather for an activity, like watching a movie or ice skating. It’s a cool outlet to meet new people, and I enjoy getting some spiritual food in the middle of my week. And, to Pastora Cathy’s delight, I can still remain faithful to CCM on Sunday mornings for services and Cathy’s kitchen table on Sunday evenings for Preaching Partners Bible study.

· Las fiestas madrileñas
Like a true madrileña, I have spent many late nights out over the past month of staying in Madrid on the weekends. What is normal in Spain—and in particular, in Madrid— might seem quite crazy to Americans when it comes to how to spend a typical weekend night. The party doesn’t get started until well after midnight and it doesn’t end until 5 or 6 in the morning. One weekend, I went out with my roommate Alejandra and her friend from Colombia, Juan, to a big discoteca called Pachá, and I didn’t go to bed until after 6 am. My group of girls has befriended an Argentinean guy named Dani, whose connections has gotten us free entry into a posh club called Lolita for three weekends in a row. One night we closed down the place, dancing through the night until the lights came on. Really, the best part has been going out with my small group of girlfriends and dancing together in different bars and clubs until we’re just too tired to stand. However, after several consecutive weekends of this activity, I’ve grown weary of this Madrid-standard. I enjoy it every once in a while, but I think I prefer jet-setting!

· An Excursion to San Lorenzo de El Escorial
I started getting antsy by the third consecutive weekend in Madrid. This past weekend, I was able to get out of town, joined by 8 other friends, to take a train to San Lorenzo de El Escorial. El Escorial is a monastery-palace built in the 1500s by King Philip II. The giant complex sits at the base of a mountain, which was clothed in a patchwork of leftover snow, and is quite impressive. We took a tour of the monument, lounged in the gardens while soaking up the warm sunshine, and we snacked in a nearby plaza later in the afternoon. Getting out of the city for some fresh air and fresh perspective was delightfully refreshing and rejuvenating. Plus, I had great people to share it with.

· Lots of time with friends
I have spent a lot of my free time with my closest friends. Sarah Kolb (SK), of course, is a constant in my life, and I can’t imagine Spain without her now. I am pretty obsessed with my friend Yadira, whose looks, personality, and charm defy her age. Ida is a precious gem whose enthusiasm for dancing surprisingly contrasts with her quiet nature. Kate is a vibrant, beautiful girl who now lives 7 minutes away from me! Sarah Henning (Shenning) still lives outside the city, but keeps in touch with me well enough to offer support and care. I love all these women and am so grateful for their friendship. I’ve made new friends too! Namely, Dani from Argentina and Louise from Ireland, but also all the people I am meeting through Oasis Madrid.

· A word on the weather
As is Carmichael standard, I have to make a comment on the weather. From mid-January to early February, it was absolutely miserable here in Madrid. With the exception of two days, it was overcast, cold, rainy, and/or snowy for three solid weeks. I have been told that this is the worst winter Madrid has had in a decade, and the city has seen more snow this year than it has in something like half a century. Just my luck.

Thankfully, we have been given a well earned reprieve from such dismal conditions. The past week has been simply gorgeous, clear blue skies, and while temperatures still dip into the upper 30s, they have gotten as high as low 60s and mainly stayed in the 50s this week. It’s been a glorious change that I greatly appreciate!

In fact, many of these words were first written from a sun-soaked pen and a content author who was lying on a towel on a grassy hill in her favorite place in Madrid. Can you guess where?

No comments: