Monday, September 22, 2008

First Impressions in Retiro

Madrid is a city full of life, a mixture of people mingling through the wide paseos and the narrow calles. Thus far, what I have enjoyed most about being here is people watching. Since we have to do a lot of waiting in between piso-appointments, Sarah and I have spent many hours doing just that. On Saturday evening, we sat on a hill next to the Prado Museum for a time, and on Sunday evening, we spent several hours in Retiro Park, moving from park bench to stone steps and back to park bench, simply to watch all the passersby. Observing the wide range of fashion and styles has been amusing, and we have taken note of those signature pieces that our own wardrobes lack. Personally, I lack the following when it comes to young adult European trends: skinny jeans, scarves, vests, flats of various styles, handbags, and jewelry. Ok… I’m not blending in so well just yet and I have a little work to do. Hopefully, I’ll get there when I’m not living out of my hostel locker.

Going to Retiro Park on a cool fall Sunday afternoon is almost better than going to the zoo. At any given time, a biker, a runner, a kid on roller skates or roller blades will be sure to pass in front of you. Friends sit on benches or on fountain edges chatting animatedly. Small children running ahead of their parents announce their presence with shrills of laughter. Babies in strollers stare with wide eyes at the multitude of sights and sounds in their nearby surroundings. Once in a while, you’ll see a couple making out in the grass or tucked away in the woods, not too far off the path. Tourists walk through with their cameras around their necks (yes, the stereotype still stands). Couples fill dozens of small row boats that float haphazardly through the murky water of Retiro’s central lake. Street performers draw small crowds with their frivolous antics and ridiculous costumes. You name it, and you can probably find it in Retiro. Sarah and I even ran into a Furman junior studying abroad in Madrid, Denise Frohlich (well, she was the one doing the running… we were sitting on a bench). For those who have studied much Latin American culture, you would have enjoyed the Columbian Cumbia dance practice that we stumbled upon by follow the irresistible drum beats. Speaking of drums, for those fans of the Asheville drum circle, you would probably be as excited as I was when we came across Retiro’s competing drum circles (note the plural) in Retiro. My point in saying all this is that El Parque de Buen Retiro is the place to be on Sundays.

1 comment:

TMc said...

Even though I blogged mostly this summer in CO, from one blogger to another, I can tell that you are spending a good amount of time on these entries! Keep it up! I like the different fonts and colors (it keeps my attention, which is probably what you were going for). If you had any doubt that people were even reading your stuff...take heart, for I am reading.